Monday, September 24, 2007

Tri Not To Feel Too Bad...

So, on Saturday morning, I woke up at 3:30am, with butterflies in my stomach, knowing that in 4 short hours, I would be competing in my first triathlon since I was 10 years old!! I was STOKED! The Kokopelli Triathlon in St. George is a really fun one, with some real physical challenges--mostly the bike course has a HUGE hill that is about a mile long... I was really nervous about that. I have been training for a few months, and could not wait to put my swimsuit on and get to Sand Hollow Reservoir to begin! My mom picks me and my tri gear up. We head off to Sand Hollow having SSOO much fun and laughing about how she had to help me learn to ride my tri-bike the same way she had to teach me to ride my first bike when I was a kid :) We arrive, laughing at all the different shapes and sizes that triathletes come in. We cringe at how long the Porta-Potty lines are. My coach and little sister, Naty arrives after her 20+ mile run that morning to cheer me on. I am relieved that she is there, because she is like the Energizer Bunny, and I am sure if anyone could get me motivated while I am tired, it is her! The black clouds loomed as the sun peeked through. Lightning was charging all morning, the wind was blowing the swim buoys over, and the rain was crashing, but the races began. My swim felt great!! I had lots of energy, and could tell that I was not going to be the last one to crawl across the finish line :) As I exited the water from my half mile swim, feeling strong, an old, (rather grouchy) old man in a Speedo said to me, "Save your energy, kid, they canceled the race." I did not believe him firstly because he sounded grouchy, and secondly he was an old guy in a Speedo. Unfortunately, he was right! UGH! They canceled this professional triathlon AFTER we had already completed the most weather-threatened part! How could they do that to me? I felt a disappointment that I can hardly express!!! It was like falling in love for the first time, getting ready to tell him that I am SSOO in love with him (my courage all mustered up), and then right as I look longingly into his eyes, and say, "I..." He dumps me. Horrible feeling really. :)
Anyways, they don't refund your money, you don't win any cool prizes, and they just expect you to go home and go about your normal life after they have canceled a triathlon. Can you believe that? I still feel disoriented...my muscles don't ache, I didn't get to eat any celebration calories, and my transition bucket sits helplessly in my front room reminding me of what could have been. Oh, this really feels pathetic :)
So, I am going back to Sand Hollow on Saturday, and am going to do the course, and am going to be my own, lone triathlon in order to sooth my grieving heart :) I'm "tri-ing" not to feel too badly about this, but let's face it...I'm ticked off, and the least they could do is give me my money back :) I shouldn't have to be out $90 AND not able to compete without any compensation, right?!

4 comments:

Uffens Family said...

So sorry Court about the race...but seriously...you are the woman to be ready and I am sure you would have done AWESOME! If I lived in St. George I would have been on the sideline with my Big Gulp in hand to cheer you on :)

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Seriously? No money back? That just doesn't seem right.

Sarah Hull said...

I feel like crying for you. You are a super star in my eyes for even being in shape enough to sign up. I have years to go... plus I need to learn how to swim first. It is hard to believe that they don't give you your money back. That is such a bummer. Do they have another one coming up soon?
Does your sister really run that much in the morning? How many hours does it take her? Gosh, you girls are such power houses!!!! I am off to the couch to lay down b/c I am tired just thinking about it.

Carrie Anne said...

That is really cool that you do those competitions. I did one at BYU once. They rock! I'm sorry about them cancelling, though! What a bummer! I read in Runner's World that a guy decided to do his own NY Marathon one day. It was a great article. So I think that's cool if you do it yourself..and then you can journal/blog it! Way to go! Let me know when the next one is! That is awesome!