Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Moss Pistachio Farm

I have always wished the my children could learn how to work on a farm. Don't get me wrong, I am DEFINITELY a city-slicker girl, but have always wanted my children to be able to have that earthy experience. So, my brother-in-law, Brett, let me bring my boys to his family's pistachio farm to learn how to pick, sift, clean, peel, sort, dry, and salt pistachios. It was an awesome field trip! Thanks, Uncle Brett!!



Here is Caden sifting the pistachio's (sort of...this is actually the wrong pan,but he really liked this one). About 15% of the pistachio's don't have a nut inside, and will therefore float to the top of the water in the bucket. Cool, huh?
Caden did a good job trying to pick the pistacho's off of the tree.
This is a self-photograph taken of Naty and I while we were being given a ride out to the horses by Aunt Lynn. Caden got to ride shot-gun, and LOVED it :)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sarah Hull said...

Every day I tell bryant that we need to move to a Ranch. I totally feel like that is the only way to learn TRUE hard work. Anyone that I have ever known that grew up as a rancher or a farmer has such amazing work ethics. If anything one day I am going to pretend my back yard is a farm and put hay all over the place and grow barley and make my kids wake up at 4 a.m. just to learn.
Thank heavens for Uncle Brett's farm.

Trevor said...

I LOVE pistachios! Next time we come there I want a field trip of the pistachio farm!!

Alyssa said...

You two are most definitely sisters!