Friday, November 23, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

It was the first really chilly morning of our fall here in St. George. This made for perfect day-long cooking conditions. Shaune cranked out 2 pumpkin chiffon pies, 1 fried turkey, and lots of whipping cream! He was such a great chef, and we put that whole fried bird down! Seriously, no leftovers from the fry-bird. I think that that is the greatest compliment to a chef...an empty platter. We have an early Thanksgiving because Ro (Jason's wife) has had to work at 3pm the last 2 years. So, we spend a good hour stuffing ourselves. Then, it is time for "Fat Dog." "Fat Dog" at our house is the game of choice after a big meal...ok, really it is just a fun term for NAP TIME! We just have to schedule time to lay around like fat dogs who over ate and fall asleep. It is wonderful! After naps, the boys go and play football, while the girls plot their shopping course. This year the outlet malls opened at midnight, with 10 dollar gift cars for the first 100 people there. Not being ones to miss out on any late-night fun, especially on the Day After Thanksgiving sales, mom and I braved the cold to stand in line for our gift cards. I know that this subject tends to bring quote polarities of opinions. But, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Day After Thanksgiving sales (yes, I capitalize it because it is like a holiday to me :)! This may possibly be my most favorite Whittington Family Tradition. It all started when we lived in Memphis. Rarely was there anything that we HAD to have...mostly we just love to see people go crazy over hot Christmas items :) We've seen some wild stuff. One time, we saw people fighting...literally--fist to fist (that was Memphis of course :). Another time, we got to Target really early so that we could be one of the first in the store (that was back in the day where they also gave you great gift bags stuffed with treats). Basically, our plan was just to frantically follow the other die-hards and race them to whatever hot item they had scoped out--we got into a serious footrace that year for some Nintendo thing :) Two years ago, we actually convinced my dad to come out to Sears with us so that we could get more $10 gift cards. We ended up with $40 in gift cards to spend, and bought 2 Black-n-Decker griddles, 1 Christmas ornament, and something else...it was AWESOME! There are so many funny things to see during the wee hours of the morning when maddened shoppers are on their coffee/espresso/mochachino latte grande hot shot rush. For those of you vehemently opposed to standing in line for hours on end to get a $10 gift card or some other useless doorbuster discount, I highly recommend a reconsideration of your opposition and ask you to view the Day After Thanksgiving in a new and more entertaining light. You would only expect to see some of the things that I have seen on a movie, but you, yes you, could see it with your own eyes...live the experience. It's not all about the advertising bribes, the $20.00 47" LCD HD TV (of which there are only 2 of in the entire store hidden in the toiletry section), or the $10 gift cards...it's about people. People watching other people for the incredible.
Anyways, Mom and I braved the Midnight Madness, and had another great/entertaining experience filled with free bottled water, glow-stick bracelets, $10 gift checks, the live punk band playing Christmas music, and laughter at all those committed to standing in ridiculously long lines which we didn't have to stand in because we were not committed to "things" this Christmas, we were committed to people....or at least more people watching :)
Happy Thanksgiving!
What are some of your greatest Thanksgiving moments?

8 comments:

Jessica said...

I am one of the anti-Black Friday types, but I am definitely a people-watcher, so your post makes me re-think that...maybe next year. Holiday moments- we always name the turkey with the Fords...the boy cousins always put the pilgrim salt and pepper shakers in compromising positions...one year there was a "who broke the glass" mystery and for years most everyone had the wrong person pegged as the culprit.

Trenda said...

I am usually anti shopping on Black-Friday too, due to working retail way too often during the holiday season, which was not funny! I am curious now, and may venture out next year, just for a good laugh and something different to do!

summer c said...

I remember the year that like super nintendo or something like that came out. We were spending thanksgiving at Jon's Grandma's in Enoch, Ut. Everyone was getting up at 5am. I actually decided not to go. They came home with this incredible story about how these moms actually got into a physical fight over who got that last super nintendo. I heard it was awesome! I was sorry I missed it! Check my blog for our newly invented family traditions:)

Weston & Jennie said...

We actually went out this year. We were committed to "things" unfortunately and so after only a couple of hours of sleep and one sick kid, it was not my finest moment. Other years I have quite enjoyed myself.

Carrie Anne said...

I love Black Friday, too!!! I wasn't an early riser, but I still have to go...not really to get and "deals" but just to be part of the crowd and see what's out there. I always seem to miss the super good deals, but whatever, it's just fun to go out and about. I love your description...THAT is awesome!:)

Lindsay said...

I LOVE shopping Black Friday deals too, but this year we were in the middle of nowhere at my BIL's parents' cabin! :( My mom and I still stopped by a few stores Saturday night to hit the two-day deals. We've gotten some pretty good items in the past! We even took Brooklyn and Blake with us when they were 10 months old!! Good times, for sure!

Courtney said...

Lindsay, I was really surprised at how many people actually take their children. Very impressive, thus proving how hard-core you are! I saw children alseep on cold cement archways, and wasn't sure about that...isn't that what strollers are for?

Luisa said...

Hey Court, that was fun to read your day after Thanksgiving stories...funny stuff! This Thanksgiving was the first time I even made an attempt to wake up early and get out to the stores...it didn't work so well--we overslept and didn't get out til like 7...and I assumed I could count on feeling the same as I did pre-pregnancy...what I found was, by the time we got to the 2nd store...I was tired, my feet hurt, and I was STARVING...needless to say, I didn't last too long! Maybe next year!