Saturday, November 10, 2007

How to cope with moving, and other major issues in life...

Do you ever wonder how you will survive another move? I did this past weekend. We found someone to buy our apartment contract so that we could move into a house closer to Shaune's office...great! Right?
Well, it just meant that we had to move for the 8th time in our 5 years of marriage. UGH! There are a lot of things in life I can handle like excessive amounts of chocolate, long massages, a good tan, but I cannot handle moving :) Sorry, Superman, THAT is my cryptonite. I just crumble under the stress of packing up and seeing the scary bug cemetery that has been hiding underneath my bed for a year. Ew.
Anyways, thanks to our good friends and family, we (or really I should say, I) survived. I don't know how we could have done it without them all. It takes a village to raise a child, but it takes a small army to move the Wallace's :)
Thanks to everyone for your help!!
How many times have you moved and what do you do to make it bearable? I could sure use some advice, because we are going to have to do it again sometime I'm sure.

14 comments:

Trenda said...

I hear ya on the hating to move thing! We just did it for the 6th time since we've been married (4 1/2 years). And it gets harder and harder everytime because we have more kids, which means more stuff! My only tip is try to have no kids around for like 4 days! My mother inlaw watched ours for about that long and it was so great!

Anonymous said...

Moving again!! - We have done this once in 32 years - Great to be in a house though.

Anonymous said...

I always check out your blog after seeing Rachel's update:) No moving expertise here, just thought that you'd want compliment after hassle: I went to Time Out for Women today & thought Hilary Weeks reminded me of you:)

Mama Lee said...

oh courtney. you make me laugh out loud! no help here. won has a disease. he loves moving! we would do it every year if it were up to him, but i, like you, loathe it.

Anonymous said...

One piece of advice...just leave it up to your nazi cleaning, moving crazed little sister and you're set!!! LOVE YOU:} You're amazing for being so patient among the chaos!!!

Sarah Hull said...

SO with this last move... I called LDS social services because I thought I was going to lose it. I am so serious. But then, after a few days.. everything settled down and I cancelled the appointment. I think next time, I will get on some sort of anti anxiety medication.
How fun that you are in a house now. Will you post pictures once your settled?? Good luck, just keep breathing.

Alyssa said...

My advice on moving: Don't move. Ever.

Jessica said...

The only way I have found to lessen the stress of moving is never to do it. Since that's not possible, I resort to screaming fits of rage. Those sheets of bubble wrap can help, too, if only a little. The bug cemeteries creep me out too.

Luisa said...

Wow...I guess I should stop complaining...we are moving this Saturday for the 1st time since we've been married--I had no idea you've moved 8 times...geez Court!! But I am sitting here thinking about all the work I need to do today to get ready...and instead am blogging:) Gotta love procrastination:) Anyways, my aunt said something good about moving...she said it is good because it forces you to go through all your stuff and clean it out...get rid of the junk--SO, you must have an incredibly organized and clean looking closets and cupboards! Or at least...you probably don't have a lot of junk:) So there's a positive outlook for ya

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

We just did move #2 in 3 1/2 years marriage - no fun, no fun at all - the moving that is; the marriage is a blast! :o)

Valerie said...

Ok this last move of ours had to be the worst... try moving a week before you are due. Ok I know that I didn't have to do any hard labor (at least for the move that is, Sophia's birth was all the labor I could handle at that point.) But it's hard having to get ones house set-up and organized. We've moved about 6 times in 7 years so yes you have us beat. My only advice is call in the troops: family and friends. My Mom was awsome during our last move, couldn't have done it without her.

Carrie Anne said...

Oh boy do I hear you! I now hate most toys and refuse to buy any toys that we are not going to keep for the long term. We sold/donated almost everything we owned in this last move across the country and are now living the most simple life I've ever lived. No TV, the kids share a bed, most books/toys are in boxes, etc. No advice from me.:) It's just one big stressor that keeps reoccurring in my life...way too often than I'd like! You'll love living in a house, though, so congrats on that!!:)

Jamie said...

I am right there with you. In the 6 1/2 years me and Josh have been married we have moved I think 11 times. I told Josh next time we move I'm starting our house on fire and then that should take care of everything!!!! I always want to kick myself for all the toys we have. The sad thing is, who know how many more times we will move! Sorry!

Cindy said...

Where did you guys move to? I hate moving too and hopefully one day we will feel like we finally have "the" house!