Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Caramel + Apples + Chocolate = Christmas Time :)

While Shaune was going through treatment, Sister Cutler and I would stay up late and experiment with different things (it was such a great way to get my mind off of the worry for Shaune)...mostly lemon cookie recipes and caramel apples :) As I was making my batches to give out this year, I couldn't help but think about God's goodness in our life--our time with the Cutler's, the miracles that we have witnessed with Shaune's recovery from cancer, our children, our families, the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I know that this is just a picture of caramel apples, but it is a reminder of miracles to me.

8 comments:

Uffens Family said...

K, you need to share your caramel apple skills with me...that is what we are making to give to neighbors and I have no idea what I am doing...yours look professional! I want to eat one!!!

Courtney said...

Ok, after years of making these here is what I do:
Ingredients:
ONLY use Kraft caramels!!
Big Granny Smith apples
popsicle sticks

Garnishes (my preference)--
A bag of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, crushed pecans, and cinnamon/sugar mix.
P.S. On the chocolate, the good chocolate is SO worth the extra $$.

How To:
1. Clean, take of the stem of the apples, and put the popsicle sticks in. **Make sure your apples are at room temperature, otherwise your caramel will bubble up on the apple.
2. Melt the caramels using 2 tbsp. of water for every 50 caramels--I usually go about 2 minutes, stir, 2 minutes, stir until the caramel is completely smooth---it is different with every microwave though :)
3. Apply the caramel to apple.
4. Let the caramel harden. It is awesome if you spray a cookie sheet with Pam so that the apples don't stick---DON'T use wax/parchment paper...it always will stick.
5. After the caramel has hardened, I melt the chocolate I am going to use and garnish. If I add nuts of anything on top of the chocolate, then I sort of press it into the chocolate so that is doesn't all fall off.
6. Let cool completely.
7. Go to your local dollar store and buy cute little clear cellophane bags, and put the apples in. They are usually quite the crowd pleaser!
One of my favorite combinations is caramel apple dipped in white chocolate with a cinnamon/sugar sprinkle...it is just like the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory's "Avalanche Apple."
8. Enjoy!!

Sarah Hull said...

So I thought I was just going to let my mouth water over these amazing looking apples (which are by the way, my VERY favorite treat of all time) and instead... my eyes are watering with tears. Isn't it interesting how different activities bring up memories or feelings? I love that you related Carmel apples to miracles. Thank you for your inspiration and your amazing outlook on life. Your blogs inspire me.

Valerie said...

I can't wait to try your recipe. What a yummy looking treat. Thanks for reflecting on the miracles in your life... it helped me to remember the ones in mine :)

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

What a beautiful post.

Mama Lee said...

Half the things you write bring me to tears. In a good way! Sometimes I'm laughing, sometimes I'm crying, but it's always good.

Carrie Anne said...

That is really neat...I think it was Neal A Maxwell where I read how it's interesting that things, sounds, scents, etc. remind us of people, experiences, miracles...it's so true and such a gift Heavenly Father gives us to be reminded to the wonderful blessings and miracles in our lives. Will you email me your new address so I can mail your Christmas card? Thanks! Plus we need to talk/plan our run! I hope I can do it!:)

Luisa said...

Between you and Rach, I am definitely in on this caramel apple thing...I was trying to figure out something to make to deliver to our new neighbors (to meet all of them) and I think this will be perfect! Thanks for the recipe!